ercw007

Home deduction for business

My home was painted and energy heating unit was installed. Can I deduct these items on my home business deductions?
Kadian

Business & farm

You can if you have a home office that is used exclusively and regularly for your business. When entering the Home Office, you must choose to enter the actual expenses (not the simplified). You will enter the square footage of your home office and the square footage of your entire home, TurboTax will use the percentage to calculate the expenses. As you are going through the Home Office section, you will get to the section that asks to "Enter repair expenses", it is recommended to the total you spent on the repair for the entire home, TurboTax will then calculate the Home office deduction amount, by using the square footage percentage you entered. 

Repairs that benefit only part of your home, but not your home office, such as painting your kitchen, should not be counted as a home office expense (the expenses must either benefit your entire home, or specifically your home office).

For instructions on how to enter this in TurboTax see below

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4773249