jhaverlack
Returning Member

I have prepared and mailed 21 1099-MISC forms to our independent contracts but can't find the option to e-file the 1096 Summary Form to the IRS. We are a WA LLC.

Business & farm

If you are using the Quick Employer's Forms tool then I don't think that option will be available until AFTER the end of the year ... look for the orange efile button on the home screen ...

And  a word of instruction.... ALWAYS save a PDF of the forms completed using the QEF program as soon as you file them.  Also keep a paper copy of the forms in case your PDF is corrupted or lost. This is your responsibility per the IRS regulations to keep copies not the responsibility of TT program or QEF. 

View solution in original post

Business & farm

Did you use the QEF Quick Employer Forms Online program?  Then you can efile it in January when they open efiling.

If you used the built in Desktop W2/1098 Reporter on your computer you have to print and mail the 1096 and 1099 forms to the IRS.

Business & farm

I used the downloaded TT for Business but when it asked for online or desktop, I chose desktop because  I wanted to make sure I could have a PDF and physical copies when done.  It appears as though that may have been a mistake.  I didn't see an address on the form to mail in the 1096 and copies ... the only one it lists doesn't appear to be for WA ... but only for other states listed.

Business & farm

If you don’t mind typing them all again you could go back and do them again in the Online version so you can efile.  You can save the pdf from online.

If you don't use efile, here are the instructions for filing Forms 1099-MISC and 1096
For each Form 1099-MISC, you should have the following copies:
Copy A for the Internal Revenue Service (two different people per page);
Copies B, C, and 1:
…….(Copy B for the recipient);
…….(Copy C for your records); and on the same page
…….(Copy 1 for the state tax department, if required).

Include all pages of Copy A with Form 1096 (do not staple), sign Form 1096,
IMPORTANT: Do not cut or separate Forms 1096 or 1099-MISC Copy A, even if a form is blank.

Business & farm

Here’s the 1096 instructions.  It has where to Mail
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1096_18.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1096_18.pdf</a>