drcyclone

I moved in 2016 but have a w2 for moving expenses reimbursements paid out in 2017. How do I input this data without triggering TurboTax to claim that I moved in 2017?

KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Deductions & credits

You will need to report that you moved in 2017 in order to enter the corresponding expenses into the program, but you can list the same city that you live in now (Form 3903 does not list the cities involved) to eliminate the program from offering a second state return, or use the original city and allocate zero income to that state. 

According to the IRS:

“If you are reimbursed for your expenses and you use the cash method of accounting, you can deduct your expenses either in the year you paid them or in the year you received the reimbursement. If you use the cash method of accounting, you can choose to deduct the expenses in the year you are reimbursed even though you paid the expenses in a different year. See  next. Choosing when to deduct

If you deduct your expenses and you receive the reimbursement in a later year, you must include the reimbursement in your income on Form 1040, line 21.

Choosing when to deduct.

If you use the cash method of accounting, which is used by most individuals, you can choose to deduct moving expenses in the year your employer reimburses you if:

• You paid the expenses in a year before the year of reimbursement, or
  • You paid the expenses in the year immediately after the year of reimbursement but by the due date, including extensions, for filing your return for the reimbursement year. 

How to make the choice.

You choose to deduct moving expenses in the year you received reimbursement by taking the deduction on your return, or amended return, for that year.”

CLICK HERE for IRS pub 521 Moving Expenses 

View solution in original post

drcyclone

Deductions & credits

Thanks, KrisD. We claimed the moving expenses on the 2016 return. So, we would input zero expenses for 2017 and then add the income from reimbursement that was paid out in 2017?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Deductions & credits

Yes, that is an acceptable option.