evergold

For S-Corp, how do I get the home office deduction? Can I use the simplified method for home office deduction? Deduction on personal or 1120S?

If a married couple files 1120S, how to get the home office deduction? Use the simplified method ($5 / sq foot) on 1120S or Schedule C? Deduction go on personal return?

I submitted the 1120S but when completing, Turbotax Business states the home deduction would be addressed when completing personal taxes and not within 1120S.  Now when I'm completing my personal taxes, the home office deduction is not addressed unless I go through the section to complete Schedule C but this is for sole proprietors.  Turbotax does not seem to adequately address home office deductions for S-Corp and when going through section to add information from my Schedule K-1.
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

If Schedule K-1 came from Form 1120S, S corporation shareholders generally cannot deduct unreimbursed business expenses with Schedule K-1 because the shareholders are categorized as employees when performing services for the corporation (and a corporate officer may be considered a statutory employee). 

These expenses, if not subject to reimbursement from the corporation, are unreimbursed employee business expenses treated as miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% of the adjusted gross income (AGI) floor

In this case, enter the home office expenses under Deductions & Credits >> Employment Expenses >> Job-Related Expenses.

For more from the IRS, see: S Corporation Employees, Sharholders and Corporate Officers

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mwave36

Deductions & credits

Just a heads up that there are two typos related to the hyperlink to: "S Corporation Employees, Sharholders and Corporate Officers." Besides the misspelled "Sharholders" in the text, the underlying URL contains a superfluous "%26-" between "Small-Businesses" and "Self-Employed" which causes the link to fail. Removing these four characters will get you there.