I made a charitable donation from my IRA RMD. Where do I identify the recipient?

Deductions & credits

Was it sent directly from the IRA administrator to the charity?
LisaBr

Deductions & credits

When you report the 1099-R for the RMD, you will be prompted with questions regarding what you did with the money.

After claiming the distribution as a RMD, a question asks about the Charity and you can answer YES.

There is no place or need to record who the donation is made to, however there is a reminder not to include this amount in your Deductions for Charitable Donations.

The following IRS link discusses QCD-Qualified Charitable Donations:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

View solution in original post

wrinderle

Deductions & credits

sent to the charity.  trying to e file and won't accept it.  do I omit charitity's ID?  Thanks.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

You do not enter the charity's information at all to report a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD).  You only need to indicate that the amount of the distribution was sent to a charity.  This will come up during the follow-up questions after you enter the Form 1099-R.

You mention that you cannot e-file.  Please share whether you are getting an e-file rejection error from the IRS or if there is an error check condition in TurboTax that is not allowing you to file.

@wrinderle

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"