louise121

Are taxes paid in 2017 for 2016 deductible?

Deductions & credits

What kind of taxes?  Please explain more.
louise121

Deductions & credits

My federal taxes paid with my return.

Deductions & credits

You cannot deduct Federal Taxes on a Federal return, other than estimated taxes paid so you get credit for them (see FAQ below).   However, there are a handful of states that allow deduction of Federal taxes on the state return.

See if this FAQ is helpful.

FAQ: Can I deduct federal taxes paid on my federal tax return?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4232603

View solution in original post

Deductions & credits

@louise121
Additional info added to  Answer above.  If you were emailed the answer, please return to the forum to see the full info.

Deductions & credits

There are six states that allow you to enter the federal tax you paid on your state return--Alabama, Iowa. Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, and Oregon.  If you are filing in one of these states watch for the deduction when you prepare your state return.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Deductions & credits

Thanks, xmasbaby0, for listing the states for louise121.
I mentioned there is a handful, but wasn't sure "which ones" were in that hand.  🙂

Deductions & credits

YW
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**