Turbo Tax indicates that it detects that my spouse had a lapse in health insurance coverage during 2017, but that is not the case. How do I fix this issue?

Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Deductions & credits

The question on the page before you see that you had a “lapse” in coverage is causing the issue.

On the previous page you should see the question, “What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [spouse] have on December 1, 2016?”.  The choices are Family, Self only, or None. 

If you have been covered under your husband’s family plan, you might think you should answer Family to the question.  However, the answer should be None. 

It is referring to what type of plan you held in your name on December 1, 2016.  If you had your own separate HDHP on that date, then choose the type of plan that you had.  If instead you were covered under the plan in your husband’s name, then you should choose None.

View solution in original post

sully388

Deductions & credits

My wife has  her and the children on her HDHP, while I am on my own HDHP, when I select Self on that option it still thinks I have a lapse in coverage.
athaab09

Deductions & credits

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same issue.
rain22

Deductions & credits

Me too. Saying my husband has a lapse, but there was not. We each have our own HDHP. Chose self only for both, and his is saying that there is a lapse. I have both 1095-B forms to prove that we both had no lapse.
neokahn

Deductions & credits

this is BS...there is no fix that removes the lapse assumption...i don't care how many times you "edit" anything...the only thing that stops this nonsense is selecting "None" which is the completely incorrect answer for the situation where both Spouses have Self Only.  Fix your **bleep** software [removed]!  If the IRS comes banging on my door from this then there will be [removed] to pay.

Deductions & credits

I had selected Family for my spouse because she was covered under the high deductible family plan from my work.  I changed it to none (meaning she did not have a separate plan), and it seems to have fixed the issue.  The question should definitely be reworded.  "Did your spouse have a separate High Deductible Insurance plan?"

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

How is the issue even coming up? Are you filing a 2017 return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"