Deductions & credits

So I've used TurboTax for 20+ years and the last several years I used over-ride of box 29, and I paper file. It worked!  This year (2018) I cannot figure out how to deduct my health insurance premiums as the son of a 5% owner.  Please help.  Is there some box that I can over-ride?  I really don't want to hire a CPA.

Deductions & credits

Has anyone figured out how to bypass this bug?  I cannot get the system to deduct my insurance premiums on line 29.  The system is throwing them into itemized deductions.  I believe this is because the K1 shows a loss for the year greater than the premiums.  However, I did get a W2 for the premiums paid. @TaxGuyBill @TurboTaxIrene

Deductions & credits

I actually did get this fixed this year. Paid the $80 for live support and I finally talked to someone who helped me figure it out. I was leaving the field in the K-1 blank that asked for I think line 3 from W-2 or something like that. If you enter the amount from your W-2 there instead of leaving that blank, it properly deducts premiums paid from line 29. If you leave it blank, it thinks that you made $0; thus, it doesn't allow you to use line 29 deduction. @lisa.mathews00 @ryantlynch1

Deductions & credits

Ha!  That worked!  Thank you so much!  Although, the reality of it is that box 5 for Medicare is $0 on my W-2 because insurance premiums are not Medicare taxable.  But, by adding income there is filled in the box properly!  Sweet!  Thanks again! @reisender1673

Deductions & credits

I don't mean to be rude, but did either of you read Irene's answer below?  That specifically tells you to do that.

Deductions & credits

@TaxGuyBill Right, I did see that.  But, there were NO Medicare taxable wages paid to me as insurance premiums are not Medicare taxable, so I had rightfully left that blank.  My wages show in box 1 and 14.  I didn't "get" that was were the "bug" was until I saw @reisender1673 's reply to me.  So, yes, I did read it.  Thank you and I do appreciate Irene's message.  It was just that it didn't spell out that you "had" to put something in "Medicare wages" regardless of whether or not your W-2 actually had an amount in that box. 🙂

Deductions & credits

@lisa.mathews00   No, you NEED to have Medicare wages in Box 5 of your W-2.  If you don't, you DON'T qualify for the Self Employed Health Insurance deduction.

Deductions & credits

This is one of the resources I read: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://loopholelewy.com/loopholelewy/01-tax-basics-for-startups/s-corporations-08-deducting-health-i... do qualify because the premiums were included on my W2 from my S-corp.  It just so happens that the premiums are the only wages reported, and, as such box 5 was left empty because the premiums are not Medicare taxable.  Again, the wages were reported in box 1 and 14 (S/E Health).

Deductions & credits

You still need 'other' wages.  You DON'T qualify.

On that link, scroll down to the heading "Earned Income From Trade or Business Limitation", which says you must have earned income from that business (which means wages other than the health insurance reimbursement).

Deductions & credits

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/earned-income">https://w... can agree to disagree.  I do appreciate your input.  My wages are taxable and I did earn them and they are reported on my W2. 🙂

Deductions & credits

If Box 5 is blank, you didn't receive wages, you received health insurance.  There isn't anything to disagree about if you did not receive wages.