I currently work abroad as a Teacher in China. How do I report the income I make in China? And, what do I say is my place is residence?

LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Deductions & credits

If you are a US citizen or resident who earned wages overseas, enter your wages as foreign income.  You will select "Foreign or US Possession" under the "State of Residence" in the program.  

Per IRS,  if you live outside the United States for at least 330 days during 12 consecutive months, you might be able to exclude your foreign income from your taxes.  For more information, see  Foreign income and exclusion and Extension.  For the tax year of 2019, the maximum foreign earned income exclusion amount is $105,900.

To enter foreign earned income / exclusion in TurboTax online program:

1. After sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in foreign income and Enter 

3.  Select Jump to foreign income 

4.  Follow prompts

To enter your address in China as your mailing address in the program, go to :

-After sign in to your account select Pick up where you left off

-On the screen, across from the top, select tab Personal Information, under your name, select Edit.  

-You would need to select the option for Foreign or U.S Possession under Tell us the state(s) you lived in, select Continue.  

-On Personal Summary screenscroll down to the mailing address sectionselect Edit 

-The next screen, select Foreign country under type of mailing address.  

[Edited 3/16/2020 | 5:32 PM]

View solution in original post