leaziro

Is internet included in the simplified home deduction? There are conflicting answers on TurboTax.

This question has been asked before, but there are multiple different answers. I attached screenshots.

I need help figuring out if internet is already included in simplified home office deduction. When you go to utilities in "Other Common Expenses" it says NOT to put anything there if you are claiming a home office deduction.

A TurboTax Lead said: "Yes, you can claim those as normal business expenses on Schedule C.  These items are not part of the Home Office deduction." (see attached screenshot). Then other places people have said internet is already included.

Thanks!

Deductions & credits

The home office deduction (simple) is instead of depreciation of your office (complicated) and other home-related costs.

Disappointingly, the answers here from TurboTaxPersons are often just  wrong.

For the real scoop refer to the IRS publications.

IRS Pub 587 says " If you elect to use the simplified method, you cannot deduct any actual expenses for the business except for business expenses that are not related to the use of the home."

View solution in original post

leaziro

Deductions & credits

Excellent, thank you for the clarification! I guess I won't be trusting answers from TT anymore without doing my own research.