Can I, sole proprietr, list son, 21y cllge stdnt & dpndnt who meets deftn, as an indepndnt contrctr, 2 write off his expenses 4 job but didn't pay him, just his expnss?

We flew from OR to Phx AZ & looking to claim his flight & baggage cost & meals. Was for a family member that I was given a nominal fee for the job. We shared a hotel & rental car so assuming I can claim those expenses in full on my schedule C. If this is possible & feasible what forms do I need? And do I give him a 1099misc for the expenses I claim. Or would it be a trade situation? New to this, just opened my sole proprietor business last tax year in 2015. First time using Home & Business CD. Up from Turbo Deluxe I used last year. 

DDollar
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

If he was traveling with you on business to help you in your business, then you can expense the costs you incurred for his travel.  You would not need to pay him nor issue him a 1099-MISC.  You would just add his expenses to yours.

View solution in original post

Deductions & credits

Thank you! That good news.
Now my daughter who is 20y, FT Coll Stdt & our dependent, just told me she wants to be able to claim her expenses for her side jobs of photography shoots & videography.  That's what she's attending school for but these paid jobs are outside of her required college assignments. She also has a couple W-2s for income for 2016. Can she open a sole proprietor business on her personal taxes to claim her expenses and still be a dependent on ours? Or would we add her income to ours along with her sole proprietor business & associated claimed expenses?
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

You're welcome.  If you don't mind, would you please post this a new question in Answer Xchange.

Deductions & credits

You bet!
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Thanks