How do I claim my standard deduction

.Can you change my return using my standard deduction?
MollsBBU

Deductions & credits

The program will automatically calculate which would be best for you: itemizing or taking the standard deduction. To check which is currently in effect:

1. Click the Federal Taxes tab 
    or 
    Personal if in Home & Business version
  2. Then, Deductions & Credits
    Desktop users may need to click I'll choose what I work on
  3. Scroll all the way to the bottom, and click Wrap up tax breaks
    Desktop users may see Done with Deductions
  4. Continue through the interview screens
  5. The last screen will give TurboTax's suggestion for a deduction titled "We've chosen [standard or itemized] for you"
    If you disagree:
  6. You should see a check-box to Change my deduction
  7. That will expand a menu to choose to itemize or take the standard deduction
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deductions & credits

This does not resolve the software error for defaulting to a standard deduction of $12,200 in ERROR for a person who is claimed as a dependent on another person's return.  This Error needs to be fixed in the software before you can call the case resolved.  What was provided was a work around if you knew the tax law and figured out that the turbo tax program was incorrectly calculating the standard deduction in the case above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Deductions & credits

Plus your work around does not resolve the error after the review at the end, so you do not have a clean filing. 

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

@Anonymous

It would help if you could start a new thread and describe your situation.

You are correct that the Standard Deduction for a dependent is less than that for a Single filer. 

Since we in the Community cannot see your tax return nor the screen you are on, it would help us understand your situation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

Its more of a question. But if i think i changed my standard decuction to the itemized deduction while filing my taxes. How can i change that or check if i did for my next years taxes?

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

Yes. You can check that by looking at your tax return.  If you have already filed your return then look to see if you have a Schedule A (itemized deductions) included with your tax return.  You would see the amount from Schedule A or the standard deduction on line 12a, Form 1040 (page 1).

The standard deduction would be one of the following depending on your filing status and age.

• The standard deduction for married couples filing jointly for tax year 2021 rises to $25,100, up $300 from the prior year.
  • For single taxpayers and married individuals filing separately, the standard deduction rises to $12,550 for 2021, up $150, and
  • For heads of households, the standard deduction will be $18,800 for tax year 2021, up $150. 

Taxpayers who are at least 65 years old or blind can claim an additional 2021 standard deduction of $1,350 ($1,700 if using the single or head of household filing status). For anyone who is both 65 and blind, the additional deduction amount is double.  You're considered to be 65 on the day before your 65th birthday. 

If you had any contributions there is a special law that allows an additional amount.  The is a special  "above-the-line" deduction of up to $300 ($600 for MFJ) for cash donations made to charity during 2021.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"