LJGNC

Can I claim living, medical, medical insurance, and education expenses I pay for my married daughter and son-in-law if they don't reside with me?

We pay their medical insurance premiums, some medical/dental bills, some living expenses and our son-in-law's college tuition. They both work and earned approximately $50K combined in 2018. We paid approximately $21K towards their health and education expenses. They have not completed their tax filing for 2018, but do not expect to itemize deductions.

Deductions & credits

Only if you daughter meets the requirements to be your dependent and does not file a joint tax return with her spouse.

To be your dependent she either 1) must be under age 19 (or 24 if a full time student) have lived with you moire than half of 2018, or been away from home to attend school, or 2) earned less then $4,150 for 2018 and you paid more than half of her total support for the entire year.

Otherwise, probably they are the only ones that can claim educational credits reguardless of who paid.

BTW: The tuition and fees deduction expired at the end of 2017 and was not renewed.  Only the AOC and Lifetime Learning Credit is available now.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post