montylobe

I am an employee who works from home can I write that off through your software?

WillK
Intuit Alumni

Deductions & credits

Yes you can-

The IRS allows one to deduct certain expenses for their home office IF the following is true: The home office is used exclusively and regularly for your business, and with the condition that it is convenient to both you and your employer.  If this is in fact the case you are able to deduct expenses like mortgage interest, utilities, mortgage or homeowner’s insurance, any repairs and depreciation only for the portion of your home office that is used for business.  When you are filing your taxes with TurboTax the program will guide you through what you can deduct and help you calculate the percentage. 

To enter in the expenses in the program: Job-related expenses are reported on Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses). 

Log on to your TurboTax account and click on the search button Enter in Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses) Click the Jump to 2106 link in the search results. 

At the Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for screen, enter your occupation. 

Click Continue, and follow the onscreen instructions.  

To enter in the home office expenses: 

Log into your TurboTax account and click on the Business tab and select Continue Select “I’ll choose what I work on” and this takes you to “Let’s gather your business info” screen 

The first section down is Business Income and Expenses, choose Update 

You are now at the “Here’s  the business info we have so far” screen where you should see your Business listed Click Edit next to that business and on the next screen, scroll down to the fourth section which should be Business Expenses and select “Visit All”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"