willey

Where do I enter property tax on my automobiles?

The form specifies where to include deductions for boats and airplanes and car registration fees. Where should I claim deduction for personal property taxes I paid on my cars.
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Personal property taxes that you pay for your car are entered under the car registration fees section.  Enter the portion of your fee that is based on the value of your car. Contact your state's DMV if you are unsure of the amount based on value. Only this amount is deductible.

You are correct that only boats, planes, RV's, motorcycles personal property taxes section, but entries in both sections flow to the same line on your schedule A (line7) as one total.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

Turbotax should make this clearer since registration fees are not the same as tax paid to a town annually.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Perhaps.  Although car registration fees are not a deductible item on the federal return, there are some states that allow a deduction. The following link will be helpful to see if your state is one of them.

@adeleswart

Deductions & credits

I am not looking for sales  tax or registration  fees. I should be able to enter taxes paid annually  on a vehicle to a town as a property tax. I can do that for a plane or boat or motor home, but car is not mentioned.

tIA

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

All taxes paid to a state or local government get reported under "Car Registration Fees".

Car registration fees are not wholly deductible.  Only the tax portion of the fee is deductible.  If you have to pay an additional tax in order to operate your car in your locality, you should add it to any amounts paid for taxes to the state and report the combined number under "Car Registration Fees".