I'll provide instructions for entering unreimbursed job expenses. As you enter your expenses, there will be blue hyperlinks that say 'learn more' which you can click for more information. To enter your employee expenses:
- Click 'Take me to my return' (and if you see 'Pick up where I left off' next, click that as well)
- Next, select the 'Federal Taxes' tab and then click the 'Deductions & Credits' tab below it
- Scroll down to the 'Employee Expenses' section and click the blue hyperlink 'Show more'
- Click 'Start' or 'Update' next to 'Job Expenses for W-2'
- Follow the prompts and answer the questions in this section. You can click the blue hyperlinks on most screens that say 'Learn more' for a pop up window with more information.
Be aware that this deduction won't be 'worth' as much as other deductions because your job expense deduction amount is first reduced by 2% of Adjusted Gross Income ( a subtitle on your return ). Also, you must "Itemize" for this expense to impact your taxes; meaning your itemized deductions must be greater than the standard deduction. The software will calculate all of this for you.