My daughter turns 17 on December 30th this year. Will I still be able to get the child tax credit for her?

I know the law is she has to be under 17 on the 31st of the year. But she was 16 the entire year except one day. Also with the new tax bill will I get any deductions or refunds for her?

Deductions & credits

No credit.  

You also got the credit in the year she was born even though she was only alive 2 days, so it balances out.  

View solution in original post

Deductions & credits

No.  You will not get the child tax credit for your daughter who will turn 17 in 2017.  There are not any exceptions.  Remember that in the year she was born, you got that CTC even though she had only been here for 2 days.  So it evens out.  She can still be claimed as your dependent for 2017, and you get the personal exemption of $4050 for her, which lowers the amount  of income you are taxed on.  Under the new tax law, (next year) you lose the personal exemption for a dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Deductions & credits

Under the new tax law, if she remains your adult dependent in 2018, you will be potentially eligible for a $500 tax credit for her.

Deductions & credits

on your 2018 tax return (not 2017).