Why do I need to tediously itemize each of my 2017 medical expenses when they were all paid from my HSA distributions as shown on my 1099-SA?

Deductions & credits

I know they are NOT deductible, but on last screen, TurboTax includes note stating "Be sure to include your medical expenses covered by your MSA/HSA distributions as medical expenses on the previous screens."

Deductions & credits

Or, since they are NOT deductible, do I just say NO at front end when TurboTax asks if I had any medical expenses for 2017?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

In the previous screens, you have to enter the amount of the HSA distributions you used for medical expenses. This is to exclude the distributions from taxation.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Medical expenses paid out from a HSA and reported on form 1099-SA are not deductible again as Medical Expenses on Schedule A - Itemized deductions.

If you use all distributions from your HSA as reported on form 1099-SA for medical expenses, you do not need to itemize your medical expenses. You just enter the total reported on form 1099-SA. The notice on TurboTax is just a reminder for you. If you have enter the total medical expenses paid out of your HSA, then you can ignore the reminder.

Edited 02.26.18  |  1:40 PM

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post