New Member

If husband and I file separate, do we both claim child?Both add house interest/property taxes?

If so, do we divide in half for each return?
Level 7

Deductions & credits

No, only one of you can claim the child.

You should each claim the dollar amount of mortgage insurance and property tax you actually paid.

If the payments were made out of a joint account, you can divide the expenses as you agree.

Keep in mid that if one of you itemizes deductions, so must the other.

See Is it better for a married couple to file jointly or separately?

View solution in original post