Do i have to wait 2 years to claim move for work deduction? I'm self employed and it said 78 wks/24 month period. I moved August 31 and started work in Sep

MichaelDC

Deductions & credits

No. You'll claim the moving expense for this year. The issue you're referring to is the time test for the Moving deduction. See #2 below. In other words, counting from your August move date, you have to work as Self-Employed for 78 weeks of the next 24 months.

1.       Distance test -  The distance between your new job and your former home must be at least 50 miles farther than your previous employer is from that home.

2.       Time test - You must work full-time for a minimum of 39 weeks during the initial 12-month period that starts on the day you arrive in the new location. You can still satisfy this requirement when the 39 weeks are not consecutive and even when it's for multiple employers. (Typically, this means you start and hold a new job within 3 months of your move.)  If you are self-employed, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months and for a total of at least 78 weeks during the first 24 months after you arrive in the general area of your new job location (78-week test).

View solution in original post

Deductions & credits

Thanks for that answer. But, I don't meet the time test as it has not been 2 years yet. Is it just that I will have to meet that time test over the next few years?
MichaelDC

Deductions & credits

That's absolutely right.