Moved for work, stayed at AirBnb for 1 month for new job before moving into new permanent housing for new job. Is the AirBnb lodging tax deductible?

I'm looking for clarification for the 'lodging' question for moving expenses
Anita01

Deductions & credits

No, this is not an eligible moving expense, except for the day of your arrival.

Travel expenses.   You can deduct the cost of transportation and lodging for yourself and members of your household while traveling from your former home to your new home. This includes expenses for the day you arrive.

The day of arrival is the day you secure lodging at the new place of residence, even if the lodging is on a temporary basis.

There are various examples of nondeductible amounts throughout the following IRS Publication on moving expense,this one, in particular includes temporary living expenses.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p521/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000203497Nondeductible expenses.   Of the $43,172 expenses that Tom and Peggy incurred, the following items totaling $34,574 ($43,172 – $8,598) can't be deducted.
  • Item 1 — pre-move househunting expenses of $524.

• Item 2 — the $25,000 down payment on the San Diego home. If any part of it were for payment of deductible taxes or interest on the mortgage on the house, that part would be deductible as an itemized deduction.

• Item 3 — the $3,500 real estate commission paid on the sale of the Detroit home. The commission is used to figure the gain or loss on the sale.

• Item 4 — the $1,500 loss on the sale of the Detroit home.

• Item 6 — the $320 expense for meals while driving to San Diego. (However, the lodging and car expenses are deductible.)

• Item 7 — temporary living expenses of $3,730.

Deductions & credits

My employer covers short-term housing (up to 30 days) until permanent housing is ready as part of my moving costs. My moving costs exceed the amount that my employer reimburses me. Would it be possible to get reimbursed for the short-term housing from my employer (since I cannot make this count on my taxes as indicated in this thread) and then use the remainder of the moving expenses (such as the moving company costs) on my taxes? Thanks!

Deductions & credits

@enfinityTX - moving costs are simply not tax deductible and have not been since 2017, unless you are in the military with moving orders.  

Not sure what you are asking.  if you employer gives your more money for moving costs it has nothing to do with whether it can be deducted or not; it can't be.  Warning: the money the employer "reimburses" you for the move is most likely taxable income to you. 

Deductions & credits

Sorry---your moving costs are not deductible on a federal tax return at all unless you are an active duty member of the military.   There are some states that still allow you to enter moving expenses.   But as stated above, your employer paid for some of your costs, and the amount the employer paid is taxable income to you.   You cannot enter any of the costs that the employer paid for or reimbursed you for.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

Per the tax laws that changed for tax year 2018 and beyond, moving expenses are not deductible on a federal return except for certain active duty members of the military.

There are several states that allow a deduction for moving expenses on the state return:  AZ, AR, CA, HI, IA, MA, MN, NJ, NY, PA and VA  You can enter your moving expenses in the federal software and the information will flow to your state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**