jsdenion

Can I deduct child care taken from my paycheck?

Deductions & credits

If the child care was deducted from your gross pay such that it is not included in your Box 1 of Form W-2 in the first place, then you can get no further tax benefit from it.

If it is not a pre-tax deduction as above, then, No, child care is not deductible.  However, you may qualify for the Child and Dependent Care Credit if you need the child care so you (and your spouse, if married) can work or go to school.  The CDCC is a percentage of your qualifying child care expenses based on your adjusted gross income.  TT has a separate interview section for the CDCC that you should complete after you have entered all your income items and personal information, including dependent info.  The CDCC reduces your tax liability but cannot reduce it below zero.

View solution in original post

jsdenion

Deductions & credits

Great thanks!
bjw2580

Deductions & credits

Yes you can deduct child care. You will need the EIN number from the child care provider and total amount paid to the child care provider. Turbo Tax will ask for this info when you get to that section.

jsdenion

Deductions & credits

I think the money was deducted so we never paid tax on it in the first place....does it matter?
bjw2580

Deductions & credits

You will need to find out that info from your companies payroll or HR department.
jsdenion

Deductions & credits

Thank you!