Can i deduct my employer reimbursed expenses(at standard rate) if they are taxed on my paystub?

georgesT

Deductions & credits

Yes.  You can deduct the employer reimbursed expenses which is included in your taxable wages. 

In general,  there are two methods of reimbursing employees for expenses.  Accountable plan and Non-accountable plan.  An accountable plan is a method under which an employee is reimbursed for expenses which he or she pays and provides substantiation for the proof.  Nothing gets to be reported on the W-2 or other tax documents.  A non-accountable plan is a reimbursement plan or policy which does not meet all the requirements for an accountable plan.  Amounts paid under a non accountable plan are income to the employee and must be included in wages with appropriate tax withholdings.  Employee will file form 2106 to deduct his qualified employee job related expenses. 

Based on your information, employer included the reimbursed expenses in your pay, which indicates it's a non-accountable plan.  I would suggest you to wait for your W-2 to verify if that reimbursement is included in wages in box 1.  You will then file form 2016 to deduct your work related expenses. 

Please see the attached link :

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc514.html