stang89

Why don't I see my 1098 interest on Schedule A? I entered my mortgage interest statement, turbo tax sees it. But on schedule A the amount is 0.

TomK
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 nearly doubled the standard deduction amount for tax years 2018 through 2025.

In addition, the SALT deduction (state, local, property, and sales tax) is now capped at $10,000 ($5,000 for couples filing separately), whereas in prior tax years there was no cap.

As a result of these and other tax law changes, our estimate is that nearly 90% of tax filers will now be taking the higher standard deduction, up from around 70% last year. And if you're in the 90% group, you won't see a change in your refund after entering your mortgage interest and property taxes.

Please read this TurboTax FAQ for information on “Why didn't my mortgage or property taxes increase my refund?”: Why didn't my mortgage or property taxes increase my refund?

Please read this TurboTax FAQ for additional information on "How do I change from the standard deduction to itemized (or vice-versa)?": How do I change from the standard deduction to itemized (or vice-versa)?

[Edited 3/24/19 | 10:13am]

stang89

Deductions & credits

Thanks for the response. I am aware of the changes and the desire to reduce itemized deductions.  But even with the SALT deduction, that and my mortgage interest are greater than the 24,000 standard deduction.  But TurboTax is trying to force standard deduction because its not putting that non-0 value in for mortgage interest
TomK
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Thank you for clarifying... and please see updated answer above. Try switching the deduction to see how that changes things.
stang89

Deductions & credits

Thanks again for the quick response.  I actually already found this information and did this before I originally posted.  Thats how I found out why TurboTax was still trying to force standard deduction on me, and why I couldn't find schedule A on my forms.  After I changed it for 'force' itemized, I can see the reduced SALT, my charitable contributions, but the value for Interest you paid is 0.  When I click the field (8a) I get a magnifying glass.  When I click that, I can see my home interest worksheet that I already entered, and all that information looks right.  But that value on Schedule A is still 0....
stang89

Deductions & credits

Maybe I should add I have the home and business version installed from a CD
TomK
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Please try this to see if it helps: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7201270">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7201270</a>
stang89

Deductions & credits

THANK YOU.  Yes that was it.  I saw usually box 7 is checked for this (it is not checked in my 1098) so left it at not secured.  The address in box 8 is my own and I thought if it was secured it would be a different address.  
Now, curiously, it updated Schedule A.  My return amount went up as expected.  So I went to turn off 'force itemized' and turbotax now still has an amount higher than before, but its still saying i am taking the standard deduction...?  Schedule A disappears from my forms list.  Some simple math seems the SALT amount + my mortgage is greated than the standard deduction.  Is there a way to 'compare' the itemized turbotax is auto-comparing which is better to see the math difference?
stang89

Deductions & credits

with further investigation into the schdule a when it was forced on, it seems its not putting the full amount of my 1098 interest into 8a in my schedule a.  But when I look at the 1098 worksheet I cannot see that value anywhere.  How can i see where the 1098 is being limited?
TomK
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

This may help.

To preview all forms, schedules, and worksheets in your return before filing:
1. From the My Account drop-down at the top, select Print Center.
2. In the pop-up, click the first option (Print, save, or preview this year's return). If you haven't paid or registered yet, you'll be prompted to do so before you can view your full return.
stang89

Deductions & credits

so what I see at this point I think a portion of the 1098 is going to a home business appearing on schedule 1, and the remainder going to the schedule A, getting it just under the standard deduction amount.  That explains why the result changed when adding the 1098 into the return even with standard deduction still applying, a portion of it going to the schedule 1.  Thanks for the help today!
TomK
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Great, the mystery is solved (I'll file this info away for myself, too.). You're welcome!