bluster1

Is Turbo tax able to fill out form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement? I already sent by Taxes into IRS.

Deductions & credits

TurboTax does not support IRS Form 843

IRS Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f843.pdf

IRS Form 843 instructions - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i843.pdf

View solution in original post

dean20
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

Form 843 and abatement 

lhammare

Deductions & credits

I explained to a representative that I paid $120. in error. He was supposed to send me a "Request Refund Form" as I did not use Turbo Tax to file my refund. I did not receive the form or I deleted my mistake. P[ease resend me the Request Refund Form asap.

Thank you,

Lawrence Hammare  [email address removed] 

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Deductions & credits

@lhammare We are not able to send you that request via this forum; however you may get back in touch with Customer Support via phone regarding this matter; contact details can be found here. Additionally, please review the following FAQ: Request a refund for a Turbo Tax product.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

Well, it's not that difficult to type "Request IRS Refund Form" into your browser and retrieve the Form 843.  It's a one-page simple request that actually allows you to just write or type the circumstance in plain talk.  You cannot file an AMENDED RETURN for a refund of an overpayment.  I have one in the IRS mill now and am awaiting a refund or response.  It could take a while, but I should have been more careful with TT---it's was wrong when I first E-filed and two days later it came out with an updated fix. If I do not get satisfaction by next year, I'll demand a free TT from the site as compensation.

JillS56
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

TurboTax does not support Form 843 at this time.   If you need to file a Form 843 search irs.gov/forms > enter 843 in the search box > click on Form 843 from the list.

Deductions & credits

I will have 2 W2s for 2022 from two departments in the same company but with the same EIN, so I have seriously overpaid my Social Security.  For my 2022 Estimates I already included this refund but after reading this helpful post I am now concerned that TurboTax won’t allow it and I have to pay a further Q4 2022 Estimate. Do people think this is correct?

Then I don’t file my Joint 1040 until October due to late K1s.  So can I manually file IRS Form 843 in February when I have both W2s and can attach them, probably with a letter from my employer?  Looking at the Form it doesn’t say that one has to have already filed.

All of this is quite a waste so would greatly appreciate responses and ideas from this wise Community. Thanks!

Best for 2023!

Deductions & credits

Sorry….a follow-on.  
If I CAN file it in February and get a refund, do I adjust my 2 W2s? I.e. maximum on one and zero on the other?

Thanks

Deductions & credits

The program will NOT allow the excess SS credit since you have the same EIN for both "employers"  so if the second employer will not make you whole then you have no other option but to file the form 843 and since it has nothing to do with the tax return it can be filed any time you wish.  SImply enter both W-2 forms as printed in the program ... do NOT make any adjustments since the program will do it for you.

Deductions & credits

Many, many thanks Critter-3!

Since posting this, spoke to head of payroll who says they cannot credit excess social security to me as they don’t get it back from the IRS. They promptly provided me a letter describing the situation which I’ll attach to form 843.  I’ll file that as soon as I can.

So I won’t now change any info on the W2s - what does the program do, accept both social security amounts but because of the same EIN simply not give me the credit - then I’ll pay an additional Q4 estimate.

Finally - why was Form 843 removed from the program and if anyone from the company  reads this, please consider including it - too late for me but for others!  Thanks. 

Deductions & credits

what does the program do, accept both social security amounts but because of the same EIN simply not give me the credit   BINGO ... and it will alert you to the situation as for the need of  the form 843 ... it  will never be part  of the income tax program as it needs to be mailed in separately.

Deductions & credits

Thanks for sharing your wise knowledge….all the best to you.