I am claiming a home office & am getting Sec 179 errors re: depreciating assets: the house itself, and also bathroom renovations. These are not Eligible Sec 179 property?

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

That's correct. Only tangible personal property used in business qualifies for the Section 179 deduction. The house itself is real property, as are the bathroom renovations. 

See page 16 of this link, under Eligible Property.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

Thanks Isabella. I think I'm just confused because I never even marked it "Yes" as an eligible Sec 179 deduction. I didn't even know what that was let alone try to qualify it as such. I had simply entered my house and the bathroom renovations as Assets in the depreciation section and then had Sec 179 stuff triggered in the review. It never even showed up as a question so I'm not sure how I marked those as eligible?
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

You didn't enter these items as part of the Home Office deduction? There are two places to add assets, and if this was for your home office, it should be part of that section. If you are taking the Simplified method for calculating the home office deduction, you can't depreciate the assets too.

Try deleting those assets in the asset section and adding them in in the home office section. Or delete the Asset Entry Worksheets in your return.  See this FAQ for directions to delete a form. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894474-how-do-i-delete-forms-in-turbotax-online">https://ttlc.int...>.

If you're still getting an error message, please respond with exactly what the message says. Thanks!
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

I never got notice of your reply before, thanks for getting back. I did list them as Assets within the Home Office section that is within Expenses. And I did not do the simplified method, since this is my first time completing this section I opted for the recommended method in which TurboTax walks me through everything (and none of those steps mentioned anything about Sec 179).

Deductions & credits

Is Sec 179 determined from the "I purchase this asset new" question? My house is not a newly built home, but the improvements we did to it are new as of this past year.