What form do i use if my child is now registered in homeschool?

My son is 17 and enrolled in homeschoo. Can i still claim him?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Deductions & credits

Because the child tax credit stops at age 17; this is frequently misinterpreted as the child no longer qualifies as a "qualifying child" dependent. That is not so. He is still your  "qualifying child" dependent thru age 18, without having to meet a student test. You can still claim him and no special form is needed.

View solution in original post

Deductions & credits

Homeschooling has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not you can claim your child as a dependent.  If he meets all the requirements under the Qualifying Child rules then you should be able to claim him as a dependent on your tax return.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child. 

6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.

7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

Deductions & credits

If you are referring to the Child Tax Credit, if he is age 17 on the last day of the year then he is no longer eligible for the Child Tax Credit.

Deductions & credits

There is no Federal deduction or credit for homeschooling expenses, but some States have them.