Where do i input mileage deductions

DS30

Deductions & credits

It depends

No - Mileage that is from personal use of the vehicle is considered a personal expense and is not deductible. (This would include commuting miles.)

Yes - Mileage that is from business use as both an employee (job-related) and as self-employer (business expense) is deductible. You can have both types of mileage in the same year. (Just make sure that you keep a record of your business mileage and whether the business mileage related to your job as an employee or your self-employment business.

Business miles can be deductible if you are an employee (as a job-related expense, if you itemize and are subject to a 2% AGI limitation) or if you are self-employed (as a business use of your vehicle) Also note that you will only be able to take a job-related deduction for mileage as an employee for unreimbursed business miles.

To deduct unreimbursed business miles as an employee in TurboTax Online (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here) or Desktop, please follow these steps:

You would enter your unreimbursed employment expenses under Federal Taxes>Deductions and Credits> I'll choose what I work on (or jump to full list)> scroll down to Employment Expenses> Job-related expenses (start/update). Use the TurboTax guide to help you enter these expense.

• Say "yes" to question "Did you have any of these expenses in 2015 for your W-2 income?" under the screen titled "Employment Expenses Related to a W-2".
  • after about 6 to 10 question screens, you will get to a screen titled "Job-Related Expenses" you can put this information here. List as "additional unreimbursed business miles"

To deduct business miles for self-employed in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Business"” tab
  2. Next click on “I’ll choose what I work on” (jump to full list)
  3. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Business Income and Expense”
  4. Choose “Profit or Loss from Business ” and select start/revisit/update.
  5. If your business is already listed, choose to "edit"
  6. You will eventually get to a screen titled "Your () Business"
  7. Scroll down to Business Expenses and select "Business Vehicle Expense".

Please refer to this IRS link for more information about Transportation Costs