Hi, I had a nannying/driving job and i was paid cash and i want to add it on my taxes since i won't have a W2 for it how do i add it to my return?

Deductions & credits

Did you work in the child's home, or your own?

Deductions & credits

I just picked the kids up from school and took them to their mom job etc

Deductions & credits

Was this really a job, or did Mom just slip you some gas money?  (I ask, because the IRS has been cracking down on cash income.)

Deductions & credits

It's a job made $3,000 off it
Hal_Al
Level 15

Deductions & credits

The IRS considers  undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses (e.g. mileage) associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security) on any profits greater than $400.

You may have to upgrade to the Home & Business version of TT. There's a chance you may be able to use TT Deluxe. Enter your income at the 1099-Misc screen (even if you didn't get a 1099-misc). You do not need the payer's ("employer's") Employer ID Number (EIN).

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab

- Wages & Income

-        “I’ll choose what I work on” Button

Scroll down to:

- Other Common Income

-Income from Form 1099-Misc

If you made less than $1900 ($6300 if you are under age 18), there's a better way to handle it. Reply back for details.

View solution in original post