neeraj79

Hi,I am filing 1099 MISC Self employment. For Vehicle Mileage deduction Can someone pls clarify what happens incase we don't a proof or log of miles driven for business?

I am just entering an approximate mileage information. Does IRS come back asking for proof ?

Deductions & credits

You are taking a risk of audit. The IRS does not permit the approximation of vehicle miles driven for business purposes. 

If you do not have a detailed log of when and how far you drove for business purposes, you will lose the deduction. 

For more information on the IRS Business Mileage Deduction, follow this link: Business Use of Vehicle

View solution in original post

neeraj79

Deductions & credits

Thanks Carolyn, However when entering the mileage i see there is an option to check/uncheck if we do not have an evidence or receipt of miles travelled.  I assumed by checking this box i am declaring that i don't have any record or log so no question of audit.  I am in a situation where we commute everyday to work, the distance traveled is same everyday, how does one keep a daily record of mileage in such cases ? We can only do a rough calculation of the distance travelled times number of weeks in a year.

Deductions & credits

You keep track of the days you work (your pay stub is sufficient evidence) and the internet can support the mileage.
neeraj79

Deductions & credits

Thank you Carolyn. Appreciate it.