shantism
Returning Member

I am an American citizen living abroad with US 1099 investment income, and US alimony as income. No foreign income. Which turbotax version do I need?

Also, I have these questions as it is my first time filing my own taxes! Thank you for your help - so appreciated!

With these above income circumstances, are there any tax benefits or deductions as a US citizen abroad that I am entitled to?

I am confused whether to use my US mailing address or my foreign resident address. Is one better?

If I use my US mailing address, is there some other way to tell the IRS that I live abroad?

Does my tax return get sent to my brokerage firm or anybody else automatically?

If I use my US mailing address, versus my foreign resident address , are there any repercussions that affect me?
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Deductions & credits

If you have investment income, you should use either the online Premier version or the cd/Download Premier version.

I prefer the cd/Download version as you can review your forms while you are preparing your returns.  With the online versions, you cannot see your return until you have finished your return.

The tax benefits for living overseas are the foreign tax credit and/or the foreign earned income exclusion and apply to US citizens and green card holders working overseas. 

If you e-file your federal and state (if any ) returns, they will only be sent to the IRS and state tax authorities (if any).  Your returns are never sent to a brokerage firm or anywhere else.  If you choose not to e-file, you can always print and mail your return(s).

If someone is taking care of your mail at your US address, you can go ahead and use you US address on your return.  If the IRS has any correspondence to send you, they will send it to the address on the return.

I do not know if you have a state filing requirement.  If you do not file a state return, but have a state address on the federal return, the state may send you a letter as the IRS notifies states of returns with a state address and the states cross reference the information with state returns they have received.

I cannot think of a downside to using a foreign address except that there is probably a greater chance of lost mail.

View solution in original post