My spouse is enrolled in HSA insurance plan for family through his employer. Can I do HSA contribution to my HSA account to get the tax benefits?

Or he will have to open another HSA account on his name and do contribution there?

Deductions & credits

since he apparently has a high deductible health plan coverage there is nothing that prevents him from making personal contributions to his HSA a/c  to maximize the contribution for a family HSA.  if you have no disqualifying health insurance coverage then you and your spouse can split the maximum base HSA contribution of $7300 for 2023 any way you want but you would need your own HSA a/c for "your" contributions since there is no such thing as a joint HSA. if your spouse is over 55 he can contribute an extra $1000 to his a/c only. if you are over 55 you can contribute $1000 to your a/c only.  thus the maximum if both are over 55 is $9300 

Deductions & credits

Thanks @Mike9241 for you response and apologies for delay from my side. This is what I understood from your response. Please let me know if I am missing  something... 
Even if we have family health insurance coverage in HSA plan through my husband's  employer, entire annual contribution can be made to my HSA (bank) account.
It is not mandatory for my husband to have his HSA (bank) account. 
He may choose to have HSA (bank) account ONLY if he wishes to contribute there.

We have family coverage under my husband's health insurance plan only. We are not covered under any other health insurance plan. Also, none of us are over 55.

Thanks,
Jeet

Deductions & credits

under the tax code, in the case of married couples,  if one spouse has family coverage both spouses are treated as having family coverage.  since his plan is an HDHP you are covered under an HDHP.  since you have no disqualifying coverage the law allows both of you to allocate the contribution limit in any way that's agreed to by you and your spouse. so if he agrees, then the contribution can go entirely into your account. 

one thing to remember is that when he turns 55, he'll need his own account if you want to take advantage of the extra contribution allowed for those 55 or older. 

View solution in original post