rpouwer

Big Ticket Items - Sales Tax Deduction

I'm trying to get to the part where I enter big ticket items - when I go down the EasyGuide it asks for my state and sales tax rate - then asks if I have any non-taxable income - then goes straight to the page showing the deduction they chosen for me.  Previously I had entered big ticket items (I need to add additional items) but I can't seem to get back to that part of the form.  Perhaps after the last update, a glitch was introduced that prevents me from going there?  Not sure....

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Deductions & credits

Please try this:  

Click on the Federal Taxes tab, then Deductions & Credits, then scroll down to Estimates & Other Taxes Paid and select Sales Taxes.

The first question you come to will ask you to verify the dates you lived in the State, then you will be asked your Sales tax rate, and the next question will ask you if you had any Major Purchases.  Answer Yes and follow the prompts.

Please note that taxes are limited to $10,000, so if you have already entered property or other taxes, TurboTax will limit your deduction to the allowed amount and may skip that section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

You can also just delete the sales tax question and then go back and answer yes to it, just starting from scratch with the question and it will take you through all the screens where you can enter the big ticket item.

Mypw1957

Deductions & credits

I can't find the sales tax area for big ticket item.  Can you please indicate where I am to input the amount.  I did the IRS worksheet and came up with a different amount than on the return.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Sales tax can be advantageous when you buy big ticket items. 

1. Sign into your TurboTax Account
  2. Deductions & Credits > Scroll to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid > Select Sales Tax
  3. Alternately you can Search (upper right) sales tax > Click the Jump to ... Link
  4. Continue to enter your sales tax figures 
    1. Select 'Enter all my receipts'
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"