Is there an error in the "Recovery rebate credit worksheet"?

IRS has removed the deduction and says there was a miscalculation.  Either Turbotax has a bug and miscalculated many users returns or the IRS has an error.

Other users are complaining about the same issue on these posts:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/recovery-rebate-credit-irs-says-...

Some users are adding new comments on this older solved post.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/re-is-there-an-error-in-the-reco...

Deductions & credits

Did you say that you did not receive the rebates and entered them on the 1040 line 30?    If you did and the IRS records show that they were issued to you whether you actually received them or not then they will deny double payment.

Look at your 1040 line 30.

What goes on line 30 depends on how you answer the rebate questions before you file.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Deductions & credits

The more recent ( from 9-17-21)  posts in that old thread are actually about users who made errors on their returns.   They were preparing joint returns but only looked up one spouse's SSN on the IRS account site, so they entered only half the EIP payment they had received as a married couple.   The IRS caught their incorrect amount on line 30 and reduced the recovery rebate.   That was not a "bug"---that was a user error.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Deductions & credits

@xmasbaby0 

"They were preparing joint returns but only looked up one spouse's SSN on the IRS account site, so they entered only half the EIP payment they had received as a married couple."

sounds plausible EXCEPT

• Turbotax asks you for the combined amount for both persons.
  • If you are married and got a  $2,400 check with Donald J Trump's name on it, you'd remember that and not enter $1.200.

Deductions & credits

@fanfare Clearly they did not remember how much they received since they had to try looking it up on the IRS site.   Most people would certainly remember getting a $2400 check, but perhaps there are some who have enough money already not to be impressed by the $2400.  They made a  user error----first by not entering the correct amount and by not reading the screens carefully enough.  These particular users were not affected by a "bug" in the software.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Deductions & credits

How do you know people with a denied rebate credit did an account lookup ??

you're suggesting the "problem" only happened to joint filers who were newly married in 2020 but didn't talk to each other about their stimulus payments?

If find that not plausible.

Too many posts on the forum from filers (filing status: various?) who say they entered the correct full amount, but line 30 was still not zero.

Deductions & credits

@fanfare Here is a quote from one of the users in that thread

This happened to us as well too.  When filling in TurboTax for 2020 taxes, I logged into the IRS website to get the EIP 1 and EIP 2 payments for the recovery rebate credit worksheet and entered them into TurboTax.  What I didn't catch is to take each EIP payment x 2 as the IRS website only shows it for one person and not for both me and my spouse together.

I did not say this is what happened in every instance of RRC mess ups.   But the OP in this thread cited some examples that were in a particular thread and tried to attribute the problem to a "bug."   The above post is from the thread he cited.  It was a user error.

Deductions & credits

Turbo tax calculated we were owed money on the recovery worksheet.  The IRS says we are owed 0.

We entered 0 for any payments sent to us.

Deductions & credits

"We entered 0 for any payments sent to us."

Enter zero when you did not get your EIPs and want the IRS to send them to you via your tax refund.

Deductions & credits

I believe I see the error in the worksheet. 

I did not answer yes or no to question #3  or #4 on the worksheet..  The worksheet incorrectly calculated my answer as a "yes" and gave me an incorrect rebate credit.

Not sure why there was no answer registered and why Turbotax assumed no answer meant a yes.  I would say this is a bug.

Update:  Line 8 has $1200 entered.  I'm assuming this is because of no answers in line 3 or 4.  But, I'm not 100% sure