Monthly stimulus payments

Will I be receiving the monthly stimulus for my sons. One who will be 18 in July 2021 and the other in September 2021.

Deductions & credits

If the child is age 18 or older at any time in 2021 they are not eligible for the Advance Child Tax Credit.

Judyth R
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

Hi Marisavallejo,

You have asked a great question. For the tax year 2021, there is a special provision in the law for the maximum age your child can qualify for the child tax credit. This year, you can receive child tax credit for you children who have not turned 18 by January 1, 2022. Since you shared that both of your children will turned 18 this year, you will not receive monthly advance child tax credit payments. I am so sorry to share this with you. If you still provide over 50% of support to them, they qualify for the non-refundable other dependent credit of $500 you can claim on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
R-SchuleCPA
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Answering the question of Stimulus- Yes 18 year old children (adult dependent) will be eligible for stimulus. However, the adult is also old enough to claim it on his own.  I would advise talking to your children to determine if they have claimed it already.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"