charlietax1971
Returning Member

child tax credits

I have joint custody of my child. I claim him every other year. I claimed him in 2021. I just received a deposit in my account on July 15th for 1250.00. If this is for 2022, then I should not be getting this money because his mother will be able to claim him in 2022. Is this correct? If so; What should I do?

Deductions & credits

You are confused about tax years.  The most recently filed tax returns were for tax year 2020.   In 2022 you will prepare and file a 2021 tax return.

If you are not going to claim the child for a 2021 tax return you can unenroll and opt out of receiving the monthly payments.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/child-tax-credit-update-portal

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Deductions & credits

since you will be claiming him on your 2021 tax return you are the one, if you qualify, to get the CTC credit.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Deductions & credits

@charlietax1971  said "I just received a deposit in my account on July 15th for 1250.00."

We assume you meant $250; which is the correct amount for the monthly advance child tax credit.