Recovery Rebate Credit For 2020 Babies - Not on Return

My wife and I had twins in March of 2020 which we did not receive stimulus payments for.  We claimed them as dependents on our 2020 taxes, e-filed via turbotax and the credit did not show up on line 30 in the 1040.  I can not find instructions on how to amend the return so we can collect the stimulus for our two babies.

RayW7
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

You should not need to amend your tax return.

If you made a mistake in reporting the amount of stimulus received, the IRS will identify the error and adjust your refund.

-for additional information please follow these links-

IRS Q & A 

TurboTax Help topic.

Deductions & credits

Hi RayW7,

Thanks for your response! Received our tax refund, but the stimulus money for my children was not included.  Do you know if the stimulus comes separately from the tax refund, or should I assume that without action on my part that I won't receive the stimulus money?  Any info/advice is appreciated!

dwahl73

Deductions & credits

@dwahl73 -  can you please look on Line 30 of your tax return? any Recovery Credit due you should be listed there.  There should be no need to amend. 

if you still don't think you received the credit, then your income probably limited you.

if you post the following I can walk you through the math:

1) how much  did you received for each of the first two stimulus payment

2)  filing status (married, single)

3) number of children under the age of 17 on 12 .31.20

4) the income listed on line 11 of Form 1040. 

5) confirm that the little box next to your child's name on your tax form (it's over to the right), is checked under 'CTC"

with that I can explain what happened. 

Deductions & credits

Hi NCperson,

Thanks for your reply! Line 30 is blank.

1. $2,400 and 1,200

2. Married

3. 2 children under 17 on 12.31.20 (1 year old twins)

4. Under $140k total filed as married

5. Yes, ctc checked for both

Thanks again!

dwahl73

Deductions & credits

@dwahl73 - this is really odd and I have not come across this situation before.... can you please go back into TT and see what you actually keyed in for the amount of first two stimulus payments received; please do not go from memory as I want to confirm there was no keypunch error.   for example, did you inadvertently key $24,000 instead of $2400 for the 1st payment?

also, please recheck that you correctly entered the birthdates of the children, their social security numbers (check to the actual social security cards and not to other piece of paper or use your memory)

there is no reason I can see that the software did not give you credit for your children and there are no reported 'bugs', therefore it points to a key punch error. 

are you using the desktop version or the online version? 

what is on Line 19 of Form 1040? this could provide a further clue to where the problem lies.  If your income is 6 figures, then I'd expect to see $4,000 here.

please post back and we can go from there.... 

Deductions & credits

NCperson,

The correct amounts were entered for the stimulus payments.  My wife and I received 2,400 for the first and 1,200 for the second. Correct birthdates and ss nos. were entered for my children.  I used the online version of TT to file my taxes.  Line 19 does say 4,000.  When I look at the section in TT to amend a return, it asks me to confirm how much my family received in stimulus.  This section was never presented to me when I was doing my tax return. Not sure what could of happened, but it seems TT skipped over this part originally?  Wondering if an amendment is the only way to correct?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

Yes, the latest update from the IRS states if no amount was on line 30 of your return then an amendment is the correct fix. You should wait for your original return to be processed (refund deposited) before submitting the amendment. 

Here is a link with the latest IRS updates.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

@DMarkM1 - all well and good, but my question is HOW could this have occurred? 

Line 30 is a calculated field, so the only way it could be wrong is a) taxpayer keyed in something incorrectly or b) software bug. 

As there is nothing in @dwahl73 response that would suggest he keyed in anything incorrectly, that leaves a software bug.  Has TT circulated anything inside of Intuit that it had errors in programming Line 30? 

Deductions & credits

Thanks to all for the help! I'll be filing an amendment soon as I received my tax return already.  A search on google did show there have been some glitches concerning line 30, but mostly from TT adding an amount to line 30 when one shouldn't have been there leading to delays in processing of the tax return, so not sure my issue is connected to this.

Deductions & credits

Thank you Critter-3!

Deductions & credits

@dwahl73 - my bet it is a TT glitch as I have seen posts on these boards that affected anyone who submitted prior to Feb 12. 

There is nothing I can see that you entered incorrectly so it has to be a TT bug; there is no other plausible explanation for it.  

I just wish TT had been more upfront and explained their error to their customers.