I entered the charity name and then when I select "Money" the page refreshes and asks for the charity name again. I am stuck in this loop. Can you help?

I have done this loop at least 20 times.  I tried refreshing the page. Logging out of TurboTax and logging back in. Restarting my internet browser. Restarting my computer. I continue to have the same issue. Any ideas? Thank you!
Cynthiad66
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

Yes. There is an issue with the contributions deduction and TurboTax is working to fix it.  We do not have an estimated date of correction, at this time.  I suggest you check back often to see if the correction has been made.

There is a problem with the Contributions section of the Itemized deductions and also the above the line $300.00 deduction.  Because of the many changes due to the CARES Act, IRS is still developing the forms and publications on this issue.  Last update was January 13th where everything is still in draft.  Once IRS finalizes the forms, we will be able to update TurboTax to accurately reflect your Contributions deduction.

Here are some of the changes due to the CARES ACT

The new legislation allows tax deductions on two types of charitable gifts. First, it allows up to $300 given to a qualified charity to be claimed as an above-the-line deduction. After the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which went into effect in 2018, increased the standard deduction, many taxpayers had less incentive to donate to charities. Instead, they took the standard deduction and stopped itemizing.

For taxpayers who will itemize deductions, the CARES Act effectively suspends the limit on deductions for cash contributions to public charities for 2020.  “That allows individuals to completely wipe out their AGI, and their tax liability, with a charitable contribution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

Good Will

Deductions & credits

Money

Deductions & credits

You might want to clear your cache.

Your browser stores recently visited webpages as temporary files in a cache, which enables the pages to load more quickly when revisited.

However, a full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax, so sometimes you need to clear your cache (that is, remove these temporary files).

Here are the official instructions for the most popular browsers:

Apple's official support site doesn't appear to contain instructions for clearing the cache in Safari. Your best bet is to search the Internet for clear Safari cache or similar search terms.

If your cache isn't the issue, it might be best to delete it and start again.

Next, sign back into TurboTax and try the following:

1. Go to the Deductions and Credits tab
  2. Select Review/Edit
  3. To the right of Standard Deduction, click Edit
  4. ​​Click OK, Sounds Good when you see it.
  5. Click Wrap Up Tax Breaks
  6. Click Continue

The Charitable Donations question should either not appear at all, or the amount should be zero.  

If this didn't work, and you still experience the same error, try deleting a charitable donation form floating in the background:

1. Go to Tax Tools on the left panel of the screen
  2. Click on Tools 
  3. Click on Delete a form
  4. If you see a form with a charitable donation on it, delete it and take steps 1-5 again. 

Next, enter the charitable contributions: 

To enter the information about the charity that you donated to, follow these steps:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search box, search for donations and then select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you make any donations to charity?
  4. Answer No to Do you have an account with ItsDeductible Online?
  5. On the next screen, answer Yes to enter your donations for 2020.
  6. Continue with the onscreen instructions.

You can also use our mobile app, It's Deductible.

Here is a TurboTax article about charitable donations.

To enter the information about the charity that you donated to, follow these steps:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search box, search for donations and then select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you make any donations to charity?
  4. Answer No to Do you have an account with ItsDeductible Online?
  5. On the next screen, answer Yes to enter your donations for 2020.
  6. Continue with the onscreen instructions.

You can also use our mobile app, It's Deductible.

Here is a TurboTax article about charitable donations.

@Frederickdixon54