Quarterly federal tax paid 2020

tt2020 software: will not allow an entry for 4th quarter payment of estimated quarterly federal tax paid

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

I recommend reviewing the steps below to ensure you are entering the estimated tax payments in the correct section of the program.

You can enter your payments under the Federal Taxes tab.

1. Select Deductions & Credits 
  2. Select I'll chose what I work on
  3. Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid 
  4. Select Estimates 
  5. Select Federal estimated taxes for 2020 (Form 1040ES)
  6. Select Yes to indicate you did pay estimates for 2020
  7. Proceed to enter your payments as applicable and be sure to adjust the dates of the payments if needed.  
  8. If you made any additional payments, you can also select +Add another payment if needed.

Federal estimated payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

JotikaT2

your answer is not correct.  I did what you said which took me to the same page where i have the problem and i still have it.  I also tried rebooting.  no luck.  i can enter tx paid for the first 3 quarters but the box for the 4th payment is locked and cannot enter data.

PLEASE take another shot at this. thanks

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

Underneath the fourth quarter, there should be an option to enter additional payments.   You should be able to click on the +Add another payment button and add your fourth-quarter payment there.   Make sure you are clicking on Federal estimated taxes for 2020 (Form 1040ES).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

you offered a work-around so i could enter 4th quarter estimated taxes using the ADD box ..and it worked for me.  It doesn't answer the fact there is a bug in the software that has the 4th quarter box locked.  Would you agree? 

Deductions & credits

@rodderrs 

You are using the DESKTOP software?

For Federal quarterly estimates in the desktop software...if you see a $0 in that field, that won't let you change it?.... then double-clicking on that field brings up a hidden "Supplemental Details" worksheet that was blocking that entry...  Then you can either make your entry in the worksheet, or delete the worksheet and gain access to the regular entry point..

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Deductions & credits

I downloaded from the disk.  I still say there is a bug.  For 1,2 and 3rd quarter entries, I can type in the numbers directly into the boxes.  It cannot be done for 4th quarter.  You are correct that I can click on the box and pop-up menu lets me make the entry that then drops it into the 4th quarter box

Deductions & credits

Oh...I agree it is a screw-up introduced a few years ago...I've complained about it for several years to TTX, and they've never seemed willing to do anything about it.....I just know how to get around it

BUT

..if you make the pop-up worksheet show again, there is a selection at the top of it to delete the worksheet entirely...then you get normal access again, as you did for the other 3 qtrs.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Shirl1928

Deductions & credits

4th quarter estimated tax payment for 2020 paid January 15th,

why did turbo tax want it entered on my 2021 taxes. When we did this it changed Federal refund.

Deductions & credits

You can enter a state Estimated payment made in Jan 2021 because it can be a federal deduction if you itemize.  Where did it ask you for it?  You shouldn't enter a federal Jan 2021 payment.  You sure it wasn't the 2021 4 Qtr payment due Jan 15, 2022 this year?