I want to remove the adoption credit worksheet

I have done as suggested but it isn't working
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Please try these additional troubleshooting tips:

1.  Check all of your W-2 entries in TurboTax.  Specifically look for Code T in box 12 of a W2.  If you do not have a code T in box 12 of your paper (or actual) W2, remove the code T from your TurboTax entries.

2.  Check for Form 8839.  Go to My Account - Tools - Delete a form.  If you see "Adoptive Child Worksheet", "Adoption Carryover Computation Wksht", and/or "Form 8839" delete them all.  Start with the worksheet because they have to be deleted before the Form 8839 will stay deleted.  Additionally, make sure you have removed all code T's from your W-2's before attempting to delete the worksheets and/or Form 8839.  If any information feeds into these forms from somewhere else in your entries they will regenerate.

If the above does not resolve your issue I recommend contacting support via phone. 

Deductions & credits

Turbo Tax needs to fix this glitch. We have the same issue and absolutely nothing works to remove the forms. I’m looking at using a different tax program effective this year because this is ridiculous. When even the reps can’t help, there’s a problem. 

Danctil72

Deductions & credits

I am having an issue deleting the adoption credit worksheet.  It says it is deleted but when I go back in it is still there.  Please correct this issue so we can finalize our taxes

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Deductions & credits

Please reach out to TurboTax customer support for assistance with this issue

@Danctil72

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

I called support, who in the end couldn’t help. So how I finally did it was waited several hours after my first attempts. Cleared cookies and cache on my computer. Went to Turbo Tax. Then went to tools, delete forms (if you open turbo tax and select any part of your submission then tools appears on the left side of your screen). I deleted anything related to the adoption. Then deleted it from my submission as well (I believe under other deductions). Eventually I was able to file. 
What’s irritating is we still do have a credit to use but it’s not large enough to wait another month for turbo tax to get their crap together and get the form loaded. 

Jalita
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

This is not working.   No matter what I do, the "adoption carryover computation worksheet" will not delete. I click delete and it says its deletes but it doesn't.  I can NOT file this way.  I have an agent calling me but IM sure they won't be able to figure it out and Ill just have to use someone else. So frustrating. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

If you can't delete the calculation worksheet, that means you have a carryover credit from 2020.  Go through the Adoption Credit interview and update the information.   

Search for adoption credit and select the Jump to link.   Click Edit next to the child listed and go through the screens.   If you don't qualify to take the credit this year, the credit will carryover to next year, but you will be able to e-file.   If you are taking the credit, you have to wait for Form 8839 to be finalized, currently scheduled for 03/03.

You can use the Print Center/Forms Mode in desktop to view the Carryover Wks form which shows all amount carried over from your 2020 return.  You will see the adoption credit carryover on Line 19.   This amount is showing up on the Credit Comp Wks which is why you can't delete that form.   When you delete, it will reappear because you have that carryover amount on the Carryover worksheet, Line 19.   If you have a valid carryover credit, you don't want to delete it.   

@Jalita

THud1
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

None of this works.

Just let us delete the credit already.

Last year I had to just put all zero's since we are well past the claim years and the program just seems to not care.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

If you're not claiming the Adoption Credit and you want to remove the adoption worksheet(s), you must also delete form 8839: Qualified Adoption Expenses. When you delete form 8889, the instructions will ask if you want to remove related worksheets and schedules. This will remove the adoption worksheet.

• If you're using TurboTax Online software and need to delete a form, click here.
  • If you're using TurboTax CD\Download software and need to delete a form, click here

Deductions & credits

No this does not work.  None of these ideas work.  Turbo Tax is NOT for adoptive families.  You will waste a ton of time and energy and no one helps or cares.  

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Just to clarify, we would like to take a deeper look at the Adoption Credit Worksheet in your return.

• Did you have a carryover from a prior year credit? 
  • Has it been more than five years since the adoption?

It would help to have a diagnostic file, which is a sanitized copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed but has all of the forms and numbers entered. You can send one to us by following the directions below and posting the token number here so we can access the sanitized return.

TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to your online account
  2. Click on Tax Tools on the left toolbar
  3. Select Tools
  4. In the pop-up screen, click on "Share my file with agent"
  5. Click OK on the message that a diagnostic file will be sanitized and transmitted to us
  6. Please post the Token Number

TurboTax Desktop/Download Versions:

1. Open your return
  2. Click the Online tab in the top menu bar
  3. Select "Send Tax File to Agent"
  4. Click Send on the message, and the tax file will be sanitized and transmitted to us
  5. Please post the Token Number

Deductions & credits

Hi. I have tried to remove the adoptive child worksheet so I can file and it will not let me. My token number is 965544. I cannot file because I cannot get past this review. I do have a tax credit that keeps transferring over. I adopted my son two years ago, so I do not need to fill this form out again. Please help me fix this so that I can file. 

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Thank you for this information.

Just to clarify, your adoption when through in 2019 and you have already claimed all the qualified adoption expenses, so there is no carryover from a prior year?

Deductions & credits

Hi. Yes it was all finalized in 2019 and there are currently no more fees. I already filled out the worksheet in 2019 so I wasn’t sure why I needed it again for taxes this year. If I need to fill it out again please let me know and I will. Thank you.