BB31
Level 1

Did like-kind exchange from 1 to 3 properties. Filled out the "Like-Kind Exchange" area. Can't finding where I enter depreciation and/or basis for the new properties.

Sold relinquished property in Dec 2019 and bought 3 properties in Jan 2020. One answer suggest it can't be done in online version, only desktop? If so, how is it done in there?

Deductions & credits

For complex calculations such as depreciation on a like kind exchange, Turbo Tax Home and Business is the version you need.  You can use online or desktop.

The software may not handle some out of scope calculations.  Here is a link to unsupported calculations.

Here is how to enter the depreciation and/or basis information in desktop:

1. With your return open in TurboTax, search for like kind (2 words, no dash) and then click the "Jump to" link at the top of your search results.
  2. This will take you to Any Other Property Sales? Check the second-to-last box from the bottom for like-kind and section 1031 exchanges and click Continue.
  3. On the next screen, answer Yes and proceed through the interview questions. We'll fill out Form 8824 for you.

What is a Like Kind Exchange?

Like-Kind Exchanges (Form 8824): Any loss on other property given up shown on line 14 is
treated as either trade or business, or investment income depending on your entries in the smart
worksheet for Additional Information Regarding Unlike-kind Property Given Up. Losses on
personal use property, which must be limited to zero, are not supported. A "summary" Form
8824 is not automatically created when there is more than one Form 8824 in the tax return.
Multi-asset exchanges are not supported when lines 12 through 18 are left blank and the correct
amount is entered directly on line 19. Form 8824 does not provide for any differences for
alternative minimum tax (AMT) for gains reported on lines 14, 24, 35, and 36. Any AMT
differences for these lines must be entered directly on Form 6251. If an exchange with a related
party occurred in a prior year and the property has now been sold and line 24 must be reported
as taxable in the current year, you may need to make entries directly on Form 4797 to correctly
split the amount on line 24 of Form 8824 between ordinary income recapture and other
reportable gain.

Deductions & credits

I appreciate this information. 

My like kind exchange occurred with sale 12/30/2019 and traded property received (2 rental properties) in February 2020 and March 2020. I think I have all the data entered as needed (although I am never certain on this), but concerned regarding inputting the AMT depreciable basis.

Is there information on how to handle this?

I assume I need to do this within the Schedule E for the received property.

I can go to the Asset Life History form and correct all the 28 years of AMT Prior Depreciation and AMT Deduction for the year. I don't think though that this transfers to the 6251. 

I don't see anywhere on the Form 4562 to put any AMT info; and, there is no place on the Form 4562 AMT Depreciation Report to OVERRIDE. The Depreciation Report doesn't show the AMT info.

Am I each year to go to the Asset Wks form under the Sch E and OVERRIDE line 12 AMT prior depreciation and line 13 AMT depreciation deduction and ignore the other info I am speaking about above.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

(BTW in these discussion groups where is the info as to what a "Level 6" represents?)