For the home office credit, in Turbo Tax self-employed it does not allow me to enter the income from my K-1 statement. As a result, I can't get the credit. Suggestions?

Turbo Tax won't calculate the credit without knowing my income in this section. If I enter the income again, then Turbo Tax will double tax me for federal taxes

Deductions & credits

Do NOT be entering information in the Home Office section as a Sole Proprietor business.

For the K-1, are you a member of a Partnership?  Or are you a shareholder of a S-corporation?

Deductions & credits

I am a member of a partnership

Deductions & credits

IF the Partnership Agreement requires you to pay for those expenses, then you can deduct it in the section where you enter your K-1.  There should be a check-box asking if you had expenses.

However, the program does not have a handy office form for that, so you will need to manually fill out Form 8829 to calculate what your office deduction will be.

Deductions & credits

Very helpful, thank you. Although in Turbo Tax it indicates the correct form is IRS publication 587. 

Deductions & credits

Yes, the worksheet is on page 21 of Publication 587.  But it is pretty much identical to Form 8829, so I think the 8829 is easier to use.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p587.pdf#page=21

View solution in original post