Excess Social Security but shows wrong name on Turbo Tax 2020

Ok, I am doing my 2020 taxes. My husband overpaid his social security; however, after entering all the information on the screen where is says we overpaid.... it says I overpaid and shows my whopping $57 that was withheld. It makes me nervous because it wasn't me that overpaid, it was my husband. Is this a Turbo Tax error or does it just default to the first name on the taxes, which is mine? Thanks

Ok, I am very aware there is a SS max withhold. My question is a TURBO TAX PROGRAMMING issue. When I enter the W2, YES, I have each W2 labeled correctly with appropriate name, when I go to the next screen is says "you have had too much SS withheld" or something to that affect but it LISTS MY NAME, not my husbands name and shows MY $57 withheld, NOT my husbands excess of the max withholding. He has $1200 too much roughly withheld. I am trying to be sure the excess withholding is not going against MY name of $57 and will NOT affect what has been reported to SS and the we will not be penalized for this. I think it should show my husbands name and NOT mine??? this is what I am confused about. THANK YOU.

Deductions & credits

Review the W-2 entries to make sure YOU indicated whom the W-2 forms belonged to and make the corrections as needed by editing the forms. 

Deductions & credits

Yes, each W2 has the correct name associated with it.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

The maximum social security withholding for 2020 is $8,537.40. So, you should do the math and see if $57 more than that was withheld from your spouse's wages, and if so you will be OK. It will not affect either one of your social security records, so the only important thing is that you get the proper refund on your tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

so, the maximum withholding is NOT PER PERSON? I did not make enough to withhold the maximum but my husband obviously had too much withheld. So, it is his withholding that they are refunding and it will not impact what is reported to social security? Thanks

Deductions & credits

The max is per person ... and it doesn't  affect the SS reporting.