Foreign Income before moving to the U.S on K1 Visa

My (now wife) moved to the U.S. July 9, 2019 on a K1 (fiance) Visa and has not worked in the U.S. since her arrival. Before that she solely lived in the Philippines and worked as a teacher. During 2019 she only earned $2,113 in the Philippines and my earnings in the U.S. were just over $22,000. We're filing "Married Filing  Jointly" and making the "First Year Filing" option so she is treated as a resident of the U.S. Being her Foreign income is so low and that even combined we do not exceed the standard "MFJ" deduction of $24,400, do we still need to file her foreign income? If so, do I add her income to our total wages and salaries at the top of 1040 or should that be on line 7a only and fill out form 2555? She also does not have any sort of W2, as they don't issue those. Thanks for any help. 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Couples filing joint U.S. tax return are required to report their worldwide income.  You enter wife's foreign income in the section Federal>>Income>>Less Common Income>>Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion>>Start.  There will be a place to enter the income for which there is no W-2.  You can continue through that interview in case her income qualifies for exclusion.

See also IRS Publication 519, including the section on tax treaties (which may or may not apply) at this link.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

Thank you so much! Do I still need to add  Form 2555 with it? Also, is there any way to fully delete your original return on Turbo Tax and restart after printing it? I did NOT e-file it but I don't want to go through doing an amended form if I can just re-do it and file one form, if that makes sense. Thank you.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

The Form 2555 depends on whether you are eligible to exclude your wife's foreign income (or decide you don't want to, if you don't have taxable income anyway).  If you excluded foreign income, you'll need a Form 2555.  If you don't excluded foreign income, you won't need Form 2555. 

If you haven't filed your return, you don't need to amend, you just need to make the changes to your tax return before you file. 

If TurboTax "thinks" you have filed because you processed through the "print and mail" steps, you may have to use the "Add a State" link to "get back into" the TurboTax menu you need.  When you log back into your TurboTax, click the My TurboTax at the top.  This should take you to the Tax Timeline.  Scroll down until you see the "Add a state" link.  Click that link and you'll be back in the interview section of TurboTax where you can make the changes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

Thank you!