samcajrm

I don't have an HSA, my medical expenses are more than 10% of my income, they are all out of pocket, how do i report this?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Deductions & credits

See the following FAQ for instructions to enter your medical expenses.

Where do I enter my medical expenses?

Your deduction for medical expenses is the amount that is over 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). Enter the full amount that you paid. TurboTax will subtract 7.5% of your AGI.

The medical expenses will not reduce your tax or increase your refund unless your total itemized deductions are more than your standard deduction.

samcajrm

Deductions & credits

Thank you for your help.  My question is where do I input my medical expenses , when I click on Medical, it takes me back to the standard deduction page

samcajrm

Deductions & credits

I'm asking where do I click to enter my medical expenses to itemize?  It keeps taking me back to the standard deduction page.  Thank you!

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Deductions & credits

Type "medical expenses" (two words, without the quotes) in the Search box. Then click the blue link that says "Jump to medical expenses." That should take you to the screen that asks "Did you spend more than $xxxx on medical expenses in 2019." When you click Yes on that screen, it will start asking you to enter medical expenses in various categories.

If that doesn't work, please explain in detail exactly what happens when you try it, and at what point it doesn't do what I said.

I don't know what you mean by "the standard deduction page." If you are still getting that, what is the exact heading or title on the page, and what does it say? Post a screen shot if you can.