Michael5701
Returning Member

Energy

I took the tax rebate on solar electric system in 2018, can I take the energy credit for replacing my entry doors with energy efficient doors in 2019?

Deductions & credits

Yes. They are on different sections of the form.

Michael5701
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

I'm a little confused, going through the step by step, it asks about energy credits in prior years, when I answer yes, then put in the amount, looks like the amount in the previous year offsets the credit for the doors.

Deductions & credits

@Michael5701 wrote:

I'm a little confused, going through the step by step, it asks about energy credits in prior years, when I answer yes, then put in the amount, looks like the amount in the previous year offsets the credit for the doors.

The Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit is a total combined credit limit of $500 for all tax years after 2005.

Michael5701
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

So the 30% tax rebate I took on solar for 2018 crosses out the $500 credit that would have been available for the doors I replaced in 2019 right?

Deductions & credits

@Michael5701 wrote:

So the 30% tax rebate I took on solar for 2018 crosses out the $500 credit that would have been available for the doors I replaced in 2019 right?

No, the Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit and the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit are two separate credits.

Which credit did you indicate that was received on a prior year tax return?

Michael5701
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

Last year I took the 30% tax rebate for solar installed in 2018.

Deductions & credits

@Michael5701 wrote:

Last year I took the 30% tax rebate for solar installed in 2018.

The program asks you Did You Get Any Home Energy Credits in Prior Years?  You do not answer Yes to this question if you did not receive a Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit (windows, doors, insulation, etc.) on a prior year tax return.  The question does Not refer to any Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit for solar.

The program also asks Do You Have a 2018 Home Energy Credit to Carry Forward?  If any of the amount of the 30% solar credit you took in 2018 was not carried forward you should have answered this question No.