mdmohan

Hi, I am a resident non immigrant worker. My children have ITIN and hence not eligible for Child Tax Credit. But the turbotax credits child tax credit. Are there options?

If I select non-us citizen/resident option, they are taken out of dependent. I need them to be dependent but not credit CTC.
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

More information about your situation would help resolve your question.  For example, are you considered a resident or nonresident alien for U.S. tax purposes (see IRS Publication 519 at this link for more information)?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

That sounds like an error in the program.  If that is the case, you may need to prepare your tax return some other way.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Form 1040 line 13 a shows Child tax credit or credit for other dependents . 

The Credit for Other Dependents is tax credit available to taxpayers for each of their qualifying dependents who can't be claimed for the Child Tax Credit. A taxpayer can claim the Other Dependent Credit  for a dependent who meets all the rules to be a qualifying child for the Child Tax Credit  except for the SSN requirement.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

@MayaD wrote:

A taxpayer can claim the Other Dependent Credit  for a dependent who meets all the rules to be a qualifying child for the Child Tax Credit  except for the SSN requirement.

No.  The dependent must be a US Citizen, Resident or National.   A Citizen or Resident of Mexico or Canada can qualify as a dependent, but they do NOT qualify for the Other Dependent Credit.