cgressoh
Returning Member

Taxes paid

In the summary section of Turbo Tax under "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid" the amount shown under "other income taxes" is $197.00 greater than on the Tax Payments IRS form.  I do not understand why the amounts are different.  We did not pay taxes with an extension for either federal or state and the state we live in does not have a sales tax.  I am confused about what other taxes fall into this category.  

Deductions & credits

If you are looking at a review or summary screen those add in other kinds of taxes paid too.  Make sure your actual 1040 return is right on line 17 for withholding and line 18d for estimates.

Other taxes could be any of the following:

Self-Employment tax

Unreported SS & Medicare tax

10% Early Distribution of Retirement plans penalty

Advance EIC from W-2

Household Employment tax

Etc.

Like some could be for State and local taxes paid...

-any state withholding from your paychecks, retirement checks, unemployment checks, etc.

-a state tax due (for any year) you paid last year

-any state estimated tax payments you made during year including an overpayment applied from last year

-any local taxes withheld on your checks like SDI in box 14 or 19 on your W2

You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

Deductions & credits

hmmm 

IF you are using Desktop Windows software, you can click on the $$ amount on the menu page and it will show a breakdown. 

or

Check lines 21, 23 & 24 (but not 22) on the Federal "Tax Payments" worksheet too.  (review all other values on that sheet too for lines 6 and higher, in case something else adds up)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
cgressoh
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

I have double checked lines 17 and 18d on the 1040 and those figures are correct.  We did not file for an extension, retired so no W-2 and no retirement checks, Oregon does not have a sales tax, SS and Medicare tax has been reported, and we do not pay state estimated tax.  I still cannot figure out where the $197.00 difference is between what I can see as taxes paid on the forms and the amount shown on the Turbo Tax summary sheet.

Deductions & credits

Talk to a rep on the phone during working hours...maybe they can lead you thru some way to find it.

We can't see what you've actually done, so we're just pointing to obvious stuff based on our experience with similar questions.  Yours may not be obvious.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*