Hello!! I am a foreign national and completed my Master's from US in 2019. Am I eligible for tax refunds because of tution payments?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Deductions & credits

@lovekesh-bansal ,   generally there is no tax refund or refundable credits for graduate studies related expenses.  Non-refundable  ( just reduce your tax liability only ) are available for graduate students.

Or are you talking about not being taxed for scholarships received from your home country  ?

Which country are you from and are you still in the USA or back in your home country?

Deductions & credits

Thank you for response!!

I am from India currently living in U.S. and completed my masters from here and I never received any scholarship. Its just that while filing taxes, I saw a section where you can put your tuition expenses and I was confused should I put it or not. I did receive 1098-T from my college though if that matters.

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

You may qualify for the Tuition and Fees Deduction or the Lifetime Learning Credit.

What is the Tuition and Fees Deduction?

What is the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Deductions & credits

@lovekesh-bansal , whereas the answer from @KarenJ2  is generally correct, please note that  depending on your immigration status  and filing status affect if  you would be able to take advantage of  one or the other of these two benefits.  Suggest using the IRS website  for getting detailed information on this.

Hope this helps

Namaste ji

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Deductions & credits

@lovekesh-bansal , whereas the answer from @KarenJ2  is generally correct, please note that  depending on your immigration status  and filing status affect if  you would be able to take advantage of  one or the other of these two benefits.  Suggest using the IRS website  for getting detailed information on this.

Else  if you are filing form 1040 ( i.e. you are a resident alien for tax purposes  ), let TurboTax go through and guide you on this  -- it will do it  correctly.

Hope this helps

Namaste ji

Deductions & credits

Thank you for the response!! How do I let TurboTax guide me on this. I am already answering all the questions they are asking me, what additional step should I take so that they go through all of it?

Best Regards!!

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

If you have answered all the questions you should be fine.  Make sure you clear any review points before filing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"