Why does the Foreign Taxes section under Deductions & Credits still show as "Not Started" when I've completed this section?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

When you entered your information in the Foreign Tax Credit section of TurboTax, did you go through all the screens until the end?  You need to go through all of the screens.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

Sorry for the delay in my response. I didn't receive an email letting me know that someone had replied to my question. Yes, I've gone through all of the sections.  What seems unusual is that the other TurboTax sections usually end with some kind of text indicating that you're done with the section and you get a "Done" button to press. In the Foreign Tax section, I don't see that.  Just a "Continue" button which brings me back to the dashboard.  

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

It is possible.  As long as you have gone through all the screens and answered the prompted questions, you have completed that section. You may also check if there is a foreign tax credit amount on your Form 1040 line 18d.

To preview your Form 1040 before file, here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• After sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To your left, select Tax Tools, click on the drop-down menu
  • Select Tools, click on View Tax Summary
  • Next screen, Review Tax Summary, to your left, select Preview my 1040

@bntsugaree

Deductions & credits

I also have this issue. After completing all interviews, it shows that my Foreign Taxes section is "not started". Are we just supposed to manually verify Form 1116? This just makes me nervous that I will miss something. 

@LinaJ2020 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

As long as there is the tax credit amount shown on Form 1040 line 18 d ( to be specific, it's sourced from Schedule 3, line 1), you should be covered.  If you have paid, view to check your tax forms before file. To view forms, click here:  View or print forms

@ jon 110

Deductions & credits

Thanks for your response.

Turbo Tax did not generate a Schedule 3 for me so Line 18d on my 1040 is blank.
Turbo Tax would not let me preview my forms until after I paid the fee. So, I paid the fee and see that Turbo Tax did in fact generate form 1116 along with the supporting Foreign Tax Credit statements.

The fact that Turbo Tax seems to think that I haven't started (let alone completed) the Foreign Tax section while at the same time generating the Foreign Tax forms tells me that there is a bug in the system. I don't know if Turbo Tax should have generated a Schedule 3 for me, or if having Form 1116 is sufficient.

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

If there is no number on your Form 1040, line 18d, and if you do not have Schedule 3 then no foreign tax credit was calculated.  So there must be no number on Form 1116, line 33.

Would you kindly provide more details.  Are you a US person working overseas?  Did you take the foreign income exclusion?  Or was this just passive foreign tax credit?

fuzzhub1

Deductions & credits

I have the same issue, and when I go to file it says it cannot send my return because it does not recognize the file.